Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Day Seven





Day 7

As each day goes on, I hate leukemia more and more. The situation keeps getting more real as each day goes on. I cannot believe that it has officially been a week since Brit’s diagnoses. My emotions are all over the place, and I cannot imagine what she must be going through.

The chemotherapy was injected into Brits central line today. As of 6:00 pm, she still had not felt any side effects, but oh, how she will. She of course, is as positive as ever. She is still doing well

Britney’s levels are changing day to day. I have explained in previous posts, that this is completely normal and to be expected. Her platelets are at 17,000 today. This number will continue to change as well. A “healthy” person can expect numbers around 200,000-300,000. She was admitted with platelets at 14,000. Over the week, she had to have donor platelets in order to get her system ready for the marrow biopsy and central line placed. (Both of which involve surgery, which leads to blood) Low platelets = no clotting (BAD). The highest her platelets have been over the week is around 65,000, but remember those were not all hers. Anyway, I hope that makes sense.
Britney has a good friend that she works with at the school who had a similar form of cancer a few years back. She suggested to Britney to start now, and have complete control over this disease. She suggested to Britney that she does not put off the inevitable.

The majority of patients that go through chemotherapy at this level DO in fact loose their hair. Britney’s friend told her that it is important that she feel in control. If she wakes up, and finds her hair on her pillow, it just took control of her. On the other hand, if she cuts it short, or shaves it first, BRITNEY just took control over it.

I do not think I could think of ANYONE that knows Brit to be the “rebel” type. She knows what is good and bad information. She knew her friend’s advice was right. She decided to have her mom cut her hair today. Brit decided now is the PERFECT time to try the hairstyles she has never dared do in the past.
Today is about shoulder length, and we will see what tomorrow brings. Any suggestions? I was thinking purple Mohawk.Britney did great through the whole thing. She looks beautiful no matter what. She is in control, and she knows it. I did not see one tear on her the whole time. I am glad she could not see me.

For all of you that are not close to be able to see Brit, please know that she is so strong. She is fighting this and doing everything that she is supposed to be in order to get rid of all the bad news bears. She has that smile, and light about her that we all know. I am convinced that the prayers and happy thoughts in her behalf are being felt.

WE LOVE YOU BRITNEY!!!!


Edit: I added this on after Kenzie wrote the above. This I have to do...this is Melanie, one of Brit's best friends and I must apologize to Kenzie in advance but I can not sleep. I will rarely be doing updates when Kenzie is gone or can't. I have been thinking of Brit all day and as I lay in bed trying to sleep, I have that pounding in my chest where I know I have to say something or I will burst. I just have a quick thought and I will try to keep it short. I was lucky enough to be in the room with Britney today when the nurse injected her with the Chemo.
For those who haven't been to see Britney, walking into her room is one of the most amazing feelings a human can feel. I saw heaven today as I walked in and saw her. It is as if there truly is a window open from heaven. I have a feeling of reverence when I walk in. As I watched Britney get injected, I saw courage in her eyes. And I know that most that courage came straight from our loving Father in Heaven and Jesus Christ. I feel uplifted in her presence. Britney is a perfect example of faith. Being in her room brings a feeling of love, a feeling of reverence, a feeling of love and mostly a feeling of hope. As I left the hospital, I left with the same feeling one would feel from leaving a sacred place. I STRONGLY felt the love of all our prayers so all I ask is to keep em coming. I know she can feel them and is being greatly blessed because of everyone!





5 comments:

  1. Mel, you do not have to apologize to me. I love it when you write. Thank you, you put it perfectly. It is so true. Her room, as corny as it sounds, has turned into a home for a while. You truly can feel the saviors love in the room,and I think a lot of that is because Brit has led a life that is worthy of his love. I love you Mel!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so true..the feeling in her hospital room is almost reverent..such a feeling of hope and love. What really made me smile there last night was when Joe came to see her and Brit's eyes lit up and he walked over and gave her a kiss..they are so in love and it just reminded me of the marriage vows..in sickness and in health...they truly get it!! Brit's hair is darling and it was fun to be there for that!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for posting the pictures! Brit your hair looks great! You are as beautiful as ever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the shorter hair Brit! So Cute! Can't wait to see it in person tonight!

    ReplyDelete